Sunday, September 12, 2010

Last night at Martinez Social Club

Last night was so much fun that I don't even know where to start... I guess I'll just do a chronological account of Billy Mata's birthday and the band's 30th anniversary.

After Tyler and I got a little lost, we finally met Callaway, Mandy and Kyle at the Martinez Social Club around 5:30.  The plan was to do more interviews for the documentary like we did last week at the Broken Spoke.  Our light guy flaked out on us, so we didn't have any lights to use :( However, Mandy and I did get some key contacts for interviews hopefully later this week:

Barbara Martin - Barbara owns Western Swing Monthly and obviously knows a great deal about Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.  She also knows two Texas Playboys personally, Herb Remington and Casey Dickens.  According to Barbara, these two Playboys lived with Tommy Duncan and will be able to give us some interesting facts and stories about the singer.  Very exciting.  Herb lives in Houston, so I'm hoping to plan a trip home soon so I can meet face-to-face with him.  And maybe bring the camera crew along to film him for the documentary.  Who knows.

Larry Scott - Larry is a DJ and MC at the Hall of Fame.  He's met Bob Wills and Tommy Duncan, so he should also be able to tell us some personal stories to bring Tommy back to life for a little while.

Bill Green - Bill recorded Billy Mata and the Texas Tradition's newest CD.  I'm sure he will be able to tell us some great stories about the band and also will be very knowledgeable about Western Swing.  I'm looking forward to speaking with him.

Lori & George Becknell - Lori and George are PHENOMENAL dancers who attended the event last night.  They've been taking dance lessons for two years (since they are now empty-nesters) and have fallen into the Western Swing craze.  They are also very knowledgeable about Western Swing and are great contacts for light-hearted articles about people who just plain and simple love Western Swing.

The people we met last night will definitely lead to more contacts and more story ideas.

Moving on with the night, Callaway and Kyle filmed the majority of the event while Mandy ran around with her camera trying to get as many stills as possible.  I only had my little point and shoot, so I took a few pictures that I'll be posting later.  I got to spend the majority of the night dancing with Tyler (awkwardly).  We are not country dancers, so trying to figure out how to two step (well) was a challenge for us.  We kept seeing crazy-good dancers and tried to mimic their dance moves, and failed miserably.  Tyler was able to get a few dance lessons with a nice woman, Ruthie, while I was off talking to different people.  I, however, did not get any dance lessons from someone who actually knew what they were doing.  Just Tyler.  We still had a great time tripping over each other.

Billy was surprised with an amazing, and quite large, cake for his birthday and a pair of snazzy custom boots.  The boots are black and red and on the front say Billy Mata and on the back say Tommy Duncan Tribute.  He seemed overwhelmed and very grateful for his birthday surprises.

We rolled out of the Martinez Social Club around 11:30 p.m. and made it home around 2:30 a.m.  Overall, we had a very successful and entertaining night!

-Erica

I know Erica already recapped our time at the Martinez Social Club, but  I wanted to include a photo I took of Rocco playing the drums. : )

-Mandy 


2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome picture of Rocco! Thanks again for everything you all are doing.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete